• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Spitfire Pilot bash

Krieger

Battalion Commander
pilot_bw.jpg

This figure started with the Douglas Caldwell fighter pilot but after a series of upgrades all that's left of him are the boots and the helmet. The first thing to go was the unrealisticly coloured uniform. It was styled like the army's BDU with short jacket, and although these were worn, much more typical was the longer tunic. I have so many photo's of RAF fighter pilots with the tunic sticking out under the Irvin jacket and that's the look I was going for.
I finally found a uniform I could use - Richard Schelmm's Luftwaffe has a colour much closer to RAF blue. It also has the longer tunic. The next piece of the puzzle was the Irvin jacket I stumbled upon at an RC aircraft website. The parachute is the carded set from BBi.

head.jpg

Headsculpt: DML Paolo Arnesi.
Flight helmet BBi
Irvin jacket: 21stC Toys
Uniform: DiD
Parachute: BBi carded set (thanks Panagea!)

boots.jpg

DML's feet are bigger than BBi feet and I had quite a time getting the boots on. I cut out around the strap - that area was molded solid and touched up the buckle with a little gold marker. I also had to cut down the white socks supplied with the original figure - they were way too bulky.

I am still doing research, trying to figure out whether to name this guy after an actual WWII pilot. The headsculpt looks a lot like Canadian Spitfire Ace Buck McNair so maybe......

K.

Totally awesome Krieger...nice to know that those Jerry outfits are good for something. :mrgreen:

The b/w pic looks great, really brings the historic aspect of this bash to life.

BTW...when I get footware, especially boots that fit tight, try using some Vaseline on the inside. Man, they'll slide right in.

Kyle

Parachute: 21st C carded set

I do believe you meant the bbi craded set :wink:

Great looking figure herr Kreiger, would be nice to see someone do this as a regular release, and the picture.......WOW, very nicely done :!:

Thanks guys. Panagea, you're right - it's BBi who makes that carded parachute. Thanks for the correction - wouldn't want to drive people crazy looking for some product that doesn't exist. ;)

K.

Great looking aviator, Krieger! :!:

What era of the war is he supposed to represent? - you should do a little monograph on the historical context.

BTW, where did you get that super cool 1:6 scale spitfire?? :shock:

It looks like it could be real... :-P

(I did a pic kind of like that with a Corsair the other night for the Marine pilot that I did, but I haven't decided if I'll post it yet... :lol: )

Nice to see a new pilot subject. Very cool, Krieger. I feel your pain on cramming those DML feet into BBI footwear. But its not quite as bad as some of the 21C footwear.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I wish I could post this over at DML to give them ideas for a future release, but the only thing DML on this guy is the body.

Leatherneck, I like your idea about the historical setting. I was originally aiming for Battle of Britain, but it was summer and they didn't much wear the Irvin jackets.... so I'm still working on that one.

K.

Great idea, using the Jerry uniform. Hell, if we only had an earlier flight helmet, we could piece together a BoB pilot. I DML would offer a K&C style BoB, "Few" pilot.

Just wanted to add my .02 worth too. Great looking RAF pilot!!! With all these pilot figures being displayed on the various forums I hope DML gets the hint. The Spitfire looks nice in the background too!

Back