• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

SS Spiess, wearing a pea-dot tunic

viaad

I received these pictures from Original Paintbrush to share on the board. The best of the lot has to be the SS Spiess! Thanks Ben!!! What a great find. You just don't see something like this too often. As always one can never be too sure what anyone did during WWII. Im sure you ca apply that to any war actually. Anyways, here are some good pics! Enjoy!!!

SS Spiess, wearing a pea-dot tunic
GetAttachmentaspx_zps0c6edf09.jpeg

GetAttachmentaspx_zps5a57d650.jpeg

GetAttachmentaspx_zps4ffb0ea3.jpeg

Hello,
Those are perfect images for a collection!!!
I have never seen those pictures before.. I have some great pictures if troops and vehicles in the polish campaign and eastern front!!
I can post that if you would like to see them?
kind regards,
Robert

hi
sorry their is one more image..
But in joy!!

Attachments

• P5310037.jpg
    P5310037.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 180
  • P5310033.jpg
    P5310033.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 171
  • P5310026.jpg
    P5310026.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 184
  • P5310023.jpg
    P5310023.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 207
  • P5310015.jpg
    P5310015.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 176
viadd -

Would you mind posting the full sized photos? The ones you've posted are only available in thumbnail size, and are too small to make out details.

Edit: Disregard. I've located the originals. Here are the full sized shots:

1259592007_010cakowicieobszytegros_zps5586af1a.jpg

Kama_zpsd0aff7ca.jpg

1259592113_project1v_zpsa86ab5b2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Rogue! Yeah, I wasn't able to get them to come out any larger. I'm glad you found larger ones. I was looking at the tanker, When I saw the picture the first time I originally thought it was a wrap and now I'm thinking it's probably a tunic but with a green collar. Do you see what I'm talking about?

I was looking at the tanker, When I saw the picture the first time I originally thought it was a wrap and now I'm thinking it's probably a tunic but with a green collar. Do you see what I'm talking about?

Could be, but it's impossible to tell for certain from the photo. It may just be that the pattern on the collar is darkened from use, or is simply in shadow.

The man in the photo is Hauptsturmfuhrer Karl Nicolussi-Leck of the 5. SS 'Wiking' Division. Unfortunately, I cannot locate any other photos in which he is wearing a pea dot uniform, so we may never know for sure.

Hi,

Gary, it was your idea with the tunic that prompted some great replies and images!

I originally posted my question, with an idea i had where i was wondering, if it was possible that the green collar could be used with the pea dot uniform tunic. And i have been very pleasantly surprised at the response, especially with the photos, as i now have a lot of reference material.

I was looking at the tanker, When I saw the picture the first time I originally thought it was a wrap and now I'm thinking it's probably a tunic but with a green collar. Do you see what I'm talking about?

I have enlarged the photo of the tanker slightly, as i was aslo interested to find out if the jacket is either a tunic or a wrap. As the collar does look like it would possibly a Green one, based on the light sources and the dark even colour of the collar. Regarding the possiblity of it being a wrap, i have put some red lines in where i think the outline of the SS wrap is.

Gary

Could be a camo wrap over a black wrap, with the black collar out over the camo collar.
Nice images!

There are numerous photos showing all types of insignia being worn, but during the period of the first question, the troops were told to subdue their uniforms while in combat. When they were on leave they were supposed to wear the official Walking Out Uniform, but many men wanted to portray a "saltier" more veteran-of-battle look, so they tarted up their camo tunics to impress. The Panzer troops shown are not wearing StandardTunics, but Wraparound Tunics. Plus the stylish Panzer guys could pretty much get away with anything as far as uniforms went. Some unit commanders were more strict as far as uniform regulations were concerned, while others let their guys do what they wanted to boost morale. Well-known "Super Star" tank commanders were encouraged to stand out and "look the part", so to speak.

There are numerous photos showing all types of insignia being worn, but during the period of the first question, the troops were told to subdue their uniforms while in combat. When they were on leave they were supposed to wear the official Walking Out Uniform, but many men wanted to portray a "saltier" more veteran-of-battle look, so they tarted up their camo tunics to impress. The Panzer troops shown are not wearing StandardTunics, but Wraparound Tunics. Plus the stylish Panzer guys could pretty much get away with anything as far as uniforms went. Some unit commanders were more strict as far as uniform regulations were concerned, while others let their guys do what they wanted to boost morale. Well-known "Super Star" tank commanders were encouraged to stand out and "look the part", so to speak.

Reading your long ago post got me thinking, could this ever have been possible...could an nco and tank commander in the LSSAH modify his uniform by adding the white border tressen from the regular grey uniform?
tiger7.5467.jpg

Last edited:
In Schiffer's Uniforms of the Waffen SS, there is an early war SS pic (so he has to be in Reich/LAH/Toteknkopf) of a dude wearing NCO tresse on an assault wrap (grey version). I'm pretty sure I've seen a pic of tresse on a panzer wrap as well. If it suits you go for it. I certainly wouldn't do every figure with it, IMO.

I went thru some pics tonite - what's interesting is that it is much more prevalent on Assault Wraps - I even have a pic of the bottle green collar assault wrap with NCO tresse. Is it because they were technically infantry (mounted support guns)?

Magpie - I have a pic of a Heer panzer NCO with black wrap and tresse, but I can't figure out how to post. PM your email if interested. I thought I had a Waffen SS one too, but I haven't seen one yet.

Back