• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Switchboard German 10L (kleine-Klappenschrank)

gatuko

Marksman
Hi to all

I want to present you my last creation...

Sorry for my English... this is an automatic translation, I dont know enough english to explain to you properly... if you do not understand something, please let me know... and I try to tell to you better...

Thanks in advance...

After several months of work, effort, learning new technologies, headaches and a lot of joy, now is the day I've waited and how much has been slow in coming.

Today, I can show the first prototype of my Switchboard or unit of 10 lines (Kleiner KLAPPENSCHRANK 10fach), one of the most widely used in telephony and communications German World War II and that given the complexity of materials (the Wood is building everything by hand) and the number of terminals and cables you have, no house has major figures dared to bring to market conditions (remember the resin anchor bag in his series Dragon Models Cyber ​​Hobby Communications Set 5 or that monstrosity that once sold goodstuff to Go and not like anything).

I'm not going to say anything that you do not know Telephony German World War II, and that the communication cable that was the greatest difficulty, pull the cables ... the other, connect phones or divert calls to the PBX ... etc ... was not over-complicated technology.

Have made a superdiorama wanted to prove it, but no time ...so I used the typical still life, which gives a little more grace to an item that is not too flashy for itself and although details still lacks polish I fix, this is well enough to prove it ...

I will tell you later, as has been the manufacturing process, as it has come out of normal ... (Just to whet your appetite ... ... CNC 3D ...)

Well, we are more bored with nonsense and step show you the photos I've done, which is sure what more you are interested:

Photos:

SwitchBoard10L_1.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_2.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_3.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_4.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_5.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_6.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_7.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_8.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_9.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_10.jpg

and the typical old photos that we like to ... (The last 2 were part of that superdiorama ...)

SwitchBoard10L_Old1.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Old2.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Old3.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Old4.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Old5.jpg

And the reference ones...

SwitchBoard10L_Ref1.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Ref2.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Ref3.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Ref4.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Ref5.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Ref6.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Ref7.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Ref8.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Ref9.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Ref10.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Ref11.jpg

Hope you like ... soon you talk a little as has been their manufacturing process ...

Greetings to all

Thank you very much everyone ... I'm glad you liked it ...

The truth is that it has been a very tedious job, from finding all the information and actions (they say that google is all ... but there are things hidden and it takes many hours of research ..) to do all the design. ..I had to repeat a few times that testing will not all fit and had to do it (especially to take timber which they said they were 1mm and 1.2mm were then and those 2 / 10 (added by several layers) to that everything is out to ruin ...

Then it was the way to go ... not everything is as you imagine ... you try to cut a square wooden ... nor is to divert you escudra by 1 or 2 / 10 ... therefore it all goes wrong as well ... so I decided, after many tests, supported by Sencillito lathes and try all possible methods semiatuomatizados ... if quieria do something with a fairly well done, would have to do so aided by a computer ... and as I was eager to get into that world ... flush it down the middle and zasss street .... I bought a CNC milling machine ...

This has opened me a world almost without limits ... and also more trouble, since it is a very complicated world ... Many new software packages to learn, many techniques unknown to me and have their intricacies ... as are the types of strawberry ... cutting speeds and revolutions ... media types and how to work each ... and management of the machine itself ...which has its one ... and so no wonder he consider a career ... (I've only learned the basics ...) and the worst ... information on the Internet there is very little, because like everything depends on the machine you use .. on what you do ... what types of purchases and strawberries for materials ... speeds ... etc ... learn because everything is basically based on testing ... and more tests ...

Then comes the design ... you have to do everything by computer ... I have done everything in 3D, which is what I learned ... and from there ... I turned everything to 2D templates to make it as an original ... (With this machine can also carve 3D ... but that I leave for other projects ...

I put some pictures of how I designed ... and I have turned that design, later to be able to process it with other software and tell the machine what to do ...

SwitchBoard10L_Render1.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Render2.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Render3.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Render4.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Render5.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Render6.jpg

And finally ... 2D templates generated from the 3D work ... (Takes a lot of parts ...)

SwitchBoard10L_Render7.jpg

Well ... therefore I will continue ...

Once I have the templates ready, I have to use other software to virtually enter the router what to do with all those lines and dots circles ... Cut ... Countersink ... drilling ... depths ... types of strawberries and speeds ... type and thickness of material to work ... etc ... (We're talking now working in 2D)

...and once all over, previewing the work to see if the machine is going to do what I want ...

This is what I told the software you need to do (you have to leave some "Tabs" for the piece does not come loose when the machine therm cut ... just like the models of injection molding ...:

SB10L_Plantilla_CNC1.jpg

SB10L_Plantilla_CNC2.jpg

SB10L_Plantilla_CNC3.jpg

SB10L_Plantilla_CNC4.jpg

SB10L_Plantilla_CNC5.jpg

SB10L_Plantilla_CNC6.jpg

... If everything is correct, that information is translated into a few files to run a specific software to tell the machine what to do ...

And it happens to do the job and end on the router ...

Here the router is cutting wood 1 millimeter of a template ... (These photos are of the first tests I made of balsa wood and plastic evergreen, then change the Samba wood materials and glass fiber plates and epoxy)

SwitchBoard10L_Making1.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Making2.jpg

and plastic cutting here (this theme gave me many headaches, as the plastic burns very easily and stick to the strawberry ... and breaks, so it must be done very slow and will last forever .. .. . and many chips left over ... shortly after I tested with epoxy boards and take a 45min pass a single disc ... about 8 minutes of a full plate with all its parts and burr .... ...)

SwitchBoard10L_Making3.jpg

In the following 2 pictures, you see the quality of cut, and how the pieces fit to perfection ...

SwitchBoard10L_Making4.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Making5.jpg

Another thing that took me a long time was to find a way to make all the springs quick and easy way ... at first, I thought of COMRA, but they asked me € 1 for each ... so get ... look .... and the Chinese wire found finite hard enough to not be damaged when handling ... and modern soft enough to shape it ... (it is very easy ... curls circling over another wire the thickness you want ...)

SwitchBoard10L_Making6.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Making7.jpg

And finally, the end plates finished ...

SwitchBoard10L_Making8.jpg

SwitchBoard10L_Making9.jpg

The assembly process is like a plastic model ... parts are painted ... are cut from the tabs .. sanded and reviewed the leftovers of the tabs ... be riding ... pasting graphics ... varnishing ... etc ...

... and placed in the diorama ...

Thanks...

Last edited:
That is beyond words and I have trouble seeing the difference between the real one and the one you have made. The detail is perfect. Great Work and Research.
GB

VERY nice project, BEAUTIFULLY executed!!!
Thank you for sharing your process to make it...

Thanks everybody for your words, I try to make it as exactly as possible...

That's a brilliant piece of work!

Please tell us what software you used.

Yes of course...

I Use 3D Max for design, Photoshop for textures, Cut2D and Mach3 Control to make the shapes in the mill machine.

¡Hola!
¡Que guay! ¿Piensas hacerlos para vender?

Saludos,
ZP

Hello,
Splendid looking! Have you thought about selling them?

ZP

If I Want to Sell it??

When i start the development, i want to make it for me... but during development, I was thinking make more and sell it but... after seeing what it takes to do each (3 to 4 days) and what they would have to charge, I thought of the idea of ​​making kits each ride it ... (And only for people willing to pay what it may cost a fact, let them ... ( would have to sell it for over 150€ :eek:))

I can develop the instructions grafically with some tips and tricks ...

and the price would be around 40€

(think that is a personal development (I have to make each kit specifically) and it takes between 3 to 4 hours to prepare, and is not a massive roll like that make the homes of figures)

I dont know what you think about this idea...

Looks fantastic!!
I hope the big guys are watching this - they should contact you and ask you to work for them. DML really needs to do better and stuff like this could propell them onto a higher level.
I do hope you put them into production - though I guees the asking price would be beyond most of us.

Congrats with the fantastic work!!

Henrik

Looks fantastic!!
I hope the big guys are watching this - they should contact you and ask you to work for them. DML really needs to do better and stuff like this could propell them onto a higher level.
I do hope you put them into production - though I guees the asking price would be beyond most of us.

Congrats with the fantastic work!!

Henrik

Hi henrik, thanks a lot, I´m glad to like you...

The big guys could read your words... and of course that dragon needs to do the things better... i dont understand whats happen to they... they are make the items with the same method for 3 or 4 years ago... :confused:

Yes, I am thinking in make Kits, a lot of people ask me for it...

Hi,
I would gladly buy a kit of the switchboard from you for €40. Count me in.

ZP

Ok Jose, I count you.

But first of all, i want to make a simple graphic instruccions to be easy to mount it for people...

Dont worry that I write to you... may be in 2 weeks...

Thanks a lot

Very impressive. Now that you are learning these new skills your imagination will become the only limit to what you may create. I look forward to seeing your future creations.

Tim

Back