• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

The Calm Before the Storm - 28th Infantry Division - December 15th, 1944

Panzercommander HOH

Battalion Commander
The Calm Before the Storm

After the meat grinder of the Hürtgen Forest during the drive to Rur river, the 28th Infantry Division moved to the relatively quiet Ardennes sector for rest and refit before once again taking the fight to the enemy. Of VIII Corps' 85-mile front, the 28th Infantry Division held roughly 25 miles between its three infantry regiments: the 112th at the north, the 110th in the center and the 109th to the south. Due to manpower shortages from the Hürtgen fighting (the division being down to 17,000 men from 20,000 - 25,000 normal divisional strength), the 28th had all three infantry regiments at the front insted of two regiments at the front and one in reserve per US Army doctrine.

The front line in early December 1944 was the Our river on the German-Luxembourg border with 28th's 110th infantry regiment at the center of the division's sector holding a 9-10 mile front. The 110th's first and third regiments were up at the front with the second in reserve. To shore up a precarious defensive position, a system of fortified villages was established with a rifle or weapons company in each village covering the four roads leading from the German border to the main north-south road, or "Skyline Drive" as the Americans called it. Owing to manpower shortages, patrols, outposts and observation posts were manned only during the day around the fortified villages.

Osprey Battle Orders No. 24: US Army Infantry Divisions 1944-45

King Company
3rd Battalion
110th Infantry Regiment
28th Infantry Division

Hosingen, Luxembourg - December 15th, 1944

The commanding officer of King Company is moving from platoon to platoon around Hosingen in his Jeep. Here he checks with a second lieutenant of a weapons platoon as they shift positions on the outskirts of town. In contrast to the veteran captain, the fresh-faced second lieutenant is just out of officer candidate school and is a post-Hürtgen replacement to the division. A sergeant from one of the squads is up front directing one of the squad's two .30 caliber machine guns to a position up the road while the remainder of the squad files past to their new positions.

23150543194_d06b385427_c.jpg

23778596415_1a21fdf550_c.jpg

23670411382_a326344d37_c.jpg

23150713084_caafd39fab_c.jpg

23150706914_8237e623e2_c.jpg

23752504456_ffca941483_c.jpg

23696407961_2f473fbbdf_c.jpg

23482922050_0a4c292770_c.jpg

23670384902_4c9538b451_c.jpg

23152042863_2bc7c5df91_c.jpg

23668552232_6cd31a7c17_c.jpg

23752752446_e06a1c9787_c.jpg

23778834755_b23f73a7fc_c.jpg

23696391991_6708e155c0_c.jpg

23670339992_567dd43717_c.jpg

23778786975_e2b6f86127_c.jpg

23410725279_e6a4c946f3_c.jpg

23151919013_1b10a5153b_c.jpg

23483038920_f416980aee_c.jpg

23670270332_17937fa838_c.jpg

23410864829_8a9f51d669_c.jpg

23150614294_b92c023d59_c.jpg

23152002913_1df4174d04_c.jpg

23410709889_42a69fd600_c.jpg

23696414161_f372e85125_c.jpg

23778913475_d93a70bf49_c.jpg

23778691315_eac583bdd6_c.jpg

23410723849_d2eab53372_c.jpg

23778690655_559e65a180_c.jpg

23483227200_483ceae142_c.jpg

Fred, let me be the first to say what a great job you've done there.
I don't know the first thing about US troops but knowing you and what a stickler you are for research and details, I KNOW these guys are Perfect.
Nicely photographed too.
Well done, looking forward to the next installment.

Scott

Hey Fred,

Great work all around. The set up and photography are awesome. The background looks really in scale and that's hard to accomplish. You captured the mood perfectly.

The MG platoon look nicely equipped too. Nice to see a mix of gear amongst the GIs. Good choice of headsculpts used too.

The last few pics look like wartime pics... Great job, lots to be proud of here.

-JOSH

Nicely done Fred! The entire set up is gorgeous! Just the looks of it show the level of detail and the hours put into building your troops! The black and white is well done too. It gives the day an overcast and cold feeling! Awesome work!:rock:

Simply excellent work Fred. The set up really makes me want to see what comes next. The figures are absolutely first rate.

How did you build the road?

The road is my gravel driveway - no building or modification needed. It suits me well.

Thank you for all the compliments! I had some technical issues with iPhoto and Photobucket and was concerned I wouldn't have this posted on time - or potentially at all.

Would love to see more Battle of the Bulge work from everyone! Hopefully we'll have a few more posts soon!

Jaime is off to a great start with his! :rock:

Thanks again guys!

Fred

Great work Fred, agree with the aforementioned comments, the B&W pics really gives the scene as sense of bleak realism and the background is ideally scaled. I'd love to do a scene depicting my four Panzer IIBs driving by a marching company of infantry however it's hard finding suitable terrain locally but I do intend to drive out to the pine forest (around half an hour's drive from my place) and spend a day setting-up and taking pics. Pics like yours (and others on this folder with appropriately-scaled background) are an excellent guide and I hope to, one day, produce efforts just as grand as those I've seen on this site...cheers for sharing. Steve

awesome pictures, the 110th is my favorite unit. without these guys the 101st never reached Bastogne before the Germans.

the 110th did a outstandig Job and hold the ground for 2 days against a Group of german tankdivisions.

Great dio, lots of small stories going on here.

Love the realistic loads on the troops, everything they need, nothing they don't.

Also love the E-5 directing guys into positions while the LT and CPT are off in their own little world. :amer_rollin:

The sculpt you used on the E-5 really makes me think he is talking smack with one of his team leaders at the same time as he is taking charge.

... but I do intend to drive out to the pine forest (around half an hour's drive from my place) and spend a day setting-up and taking pics.

And that for me is one of my favorite aspects of the hobby, Steve! I love doing outdoor dio shoots with my friends, fellow club members or just on my own. I hope you are able to find a spot in the end. Your Panzer IIs (et al.) would look really good in an outside dio.

Great dio, lots of small stories going on here.

Love the realistic loads on the troops, everything they need, nothing they don't.

Also love the E-5 directing guys into positions while the LT and CPT are off in their own little world. :amer_rollin:

The sculpt you used on the E-5 really makes me think he is talking smack with one of his team leaders at the same time as he is taking charge.

Thank you, ImmediateSupression! Your observations are excellent - thank you for posting them!

Thanks again everyone for the compliments!

Fred

Well done Fred. You should be really happy and proud of the way that your ton of invested time turned out. Us dio guys know that there is nothing easy about an elaborate layout such as what you put together here. Fantastic job.

I saw one reply that thought that a little dirt/weathering would help and maybe so. But as we all know there are two schools of thought when it come to permanently dirtying up uniforms. Weather and never be able to use that uniform for any dio other than one that calls for field action. Or let the viewer use his/her imagination and take the dio for what it represents (pretend ya see the filth of battle) and keep your gear like new and ready for whatever you choose to do next. (It's a lot easier to sell it when its like new too.) It would pose an interesting thread/poll to see where folks stand on that one.

Again, great job and thanks for sharing.

Great stuff Fred!
I cringe jyst thinking how hard to get so many US troops ready. Something about those US equipment hooks that always give me a lot of trouble. And the gaiters!
Everything looks great.
Another great outdoor set up!
Que siga la fiesta!

Well done Fred. You should be really happy and proud of the way that your ton of invested time turned out. Us dio guys know that there is nothing easy about an elaborate layout such as what you put together here. Fantastic job.

Thanks, Slick! Agreed. I look at my dios over and over again and think to myself - God… It looks so simplistic now. I should have done more when I was out shooting. But then I remind myself how much it sucked when I was crawling around on the ground for a few hours and how when a small gust of wind took down half a squad… So then I think, "Yep - this was good."

I saw one reply that thought that a little dirt/weathering would help and maybe so. But as we all know there are two schools of thought when it come to permanently dirtying up uniforms. Weather and never be able to use that uniform for any dio other than one that calls for field action. Or let the viewer use his/her imagination and take the dio for what it represents (pretend ya see the filth of battle) and keep your gear like new and ready for whatever you choose to do next. (It's a lot easier to sell it when its like new too.) It would pose an interesting thread/poll to see where folks stand on that one.

Someone often makes that remark about my posts, Slick. I don't know how to weather so I err on the side of caution and don't. I will offer in my defense this time that the 28th had been out of combat for a few weeks between the Hürtgen forest battles and the start of the Battle of the Bulge. I believe that during this time the surviving veterans in the 28th might have had a chance at cleaning themselves up a bit - and potentially having uniforms cleaned or replaced given how quiet the Ardennes sector was. The replacements filtering into the division would be relatively clean as well. Perhaps that will suffice on this one.

Ideally if I could weather, I'd borrow from Eduardo's weathering techniques. His figures and vehicles present a happy medium between no weathering and "I just dipped this figure in a mud puddle." Maybe one day for me. The thread or poll on weathering would be quite interesting and hopefully would spark some board participation.

I cringe jyst [sic] thinking how hard to get so many US troops ready. Something about those US equipment hooks that always give me a lot of trouble. And the gaiters!

Thanks for the compliments, Eduardo! Much appreciated.

All of my US figures have NewLine Miniatures boots - so that's added anywhere between 15 to 45 minutes in kitting each of them up. The look of the footwear makes it worth it. The equipment hooks are only challenging for me when I'm working with one of the lesser variants of DML's RTV Garand cartridge belts. Unfortunately, there's been considerable variation between 2003-2008 on the Garand cartridge belts from DML. I find the earlier the cartridge belt the better.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments! Much appreciated!

Fred

Back