• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Trying to make squibs...

SLICK7

Company Commander
I've started experimenting with the making squibs. These pics were my first attempts to get the amount of gun powder correct. Still not getting the blast right. And I have a ways to go with the electronic ignition. The last pic shows actual gun powder residue on the rifle and right sleeve. I'm also using a new technique for anchoring the feet. I put one of those glorified paper clips on his left foot. Worked like a charm. Let know what you think.

82smoke001.jpg

82smoke002.jpg

82smoke003.jpg

82smoke004.jpg

82smoke005.jpg

82smoke006.jpg

I meant to ask, does anybody or has anybody made a squib before? I'm trying to use a battery and extension cord wire (unbraided) to fire the powder. Can't get it to ignite.

The smoke looks great, and I love the solution to steady the soldier while posed :!:

I imagine you can search youtube and find some ideas for the triggering.

Slick...I use a model rocket ignition to ignite my powder for smoke FX.
Runs on a 9v battery, and you can buy the "rocket engine igniters" in a 100 pack for about $4 at dang near any hobby shop, craft store, and some toy stores.
They ignite with the press of a button...instantly!...so timing the photos/smoke becomes a lot more precise.
Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted on what type ignition you decide to go with.

Niice! That's a pretty cool technique. Usually if I were to add in smoke I'd do it in photoshop or something like that, but I do love me some practical effects.
I might have to steal that standing trick as well, I use some sections of a cut up wire coat hanger, with holes drilled through the boot and foot.

Slick...I use a model rocket ignition to ignite my powder for smoke FX.
Runs on a 9v battery, and you can buy the "rocket engine igniters" in a 100 pack for about $4 at dang near any hobby shop, craft store, and some toy stores.
They ignite with the press of a button...instantly!...so timing the photos/smoke becomes a lot more precise.
Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted on what type ignition you decide to go with.

Thank you sir! That is awesome advice - exactly the advice I was looking for. Is there a particular brand? I looked on line and see them going for $6-8 for 6.

When I was a lad we made an electrical detonation system by making a small coil of thin wire attached to the leads with crocodile clips and powered with a 9v dry cell battery .

Rob

Back