• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Wireless Set No.19 MkII USA Lend Lease tank installation kit.

Johnny Canuck

Battalion Commander
I've sort of become fascinated with the Signals mainly with the usual Canuck slant.
I've been picking up odd WS stuff for a year or two now and have come across some interesting communication items.
I bought a partial WS19 MkII USA Lend-Lease tank installation for say a Sherman or pretty much any other piece of British armour, Russian or any ie Brazilian, Polish, Australian etc United Nations Ally.

We'll start on the bottom shelf.
stuffaug262011124.jpg

No.7 Hand held Microphone and Headgear assembly USA manufacture.
stuffaug262011129.jpg

6 Volt Battery box made of oak, steel corners and a heavy wax finish.
stuffaug262011131.jpg

Starting on the left side various operator lamps and fittings one is clipped to the steel racking, one is still in the original packaging unopened. The lens and bulb were removed and the lamp screwed in the bulb socket.
In the foreground are a couple of Junction and Control boxes behind is a Wireless Remote Control Unit No.1 (Cdn)
stuffaug262011133.jpg

The Operators Lamp No.5 Cdn, amber, clear and red lenses.
stuffaug262011136.jpg

Lenses and fittings.
stuffaug262011137.jpg

Junction and Control boxes that headphones and mics are plugged into.
stuffaug262011152.jpg

WS19 Junction Distribution Box No3 ZA 10244 with a Call Commander button, sent a signal to the commander if he wasn't on intercom IC. Usually used by the driver.
stuffaug262011154.jpg

stuffaug262011139.jpg

Control Unit No.6 Mk2/1 Post war as the Mk2 number is Arabic as opposed to WW2 which used Latin as in MkII
stuffaug262011156.jpg

stuffaug262011144.jpg

Another Junctn Distn No.3 Call Commander US manufacture I think.
stuffaug262011158.jpg

stuffaug262011145.jpg

Control Unit No.2 MkII
stuffaug262011159.jpg

stuffaug262011147.jpg

The second shelf. Most of these items are from a WW2 USA tank installation kit. Many items are still missing.
stuffaug262011181.jpg

Wireless Set WS No.19 MkII USA Lend Lease.
stuffaug262011186.jpg

Power Supply Unit PSU No.1
stuffaug262011189.jpg

Another waxed 6V battery box, and the power cable that runs from the lower 6 point socket on the PSU to a terminal box that was connected to the slip rings in the turret bearing, and then to another terminal box in the hull that connected to power and the rest of the crew, driver, assistant driver/MG and the loader.
stuffaug262011190.jpg

WS No.19 Spare Valves Case USA Lend Lease
stuffaug262011197.jpg

Pye Plugs all in the foreground, extreme left male Pye plug with all washers, locking rings and nuts for the face plate of the set, variometer housing etc. Centre are male Pye fittings, on the right I'm not but they are female Pye fittings, but the cable end is wrong for WW2 aerial cable, it appears to be a smaller nut for a lighter cable. Far right are two 3 way Sockets in original packaging unopened.
stuffaug262011199.jpg

Top Shelf
stuffaug262011209.jpg

Aerial Bases
stuffaug262011213.jpg

Aerial Base No.8 for F Rods on the left and a G Rod Aerial Base No.9 on the right.
stuffaug262011219.jpg

Aerial Base No.9 left and a No.8 on the right.
stuffaug262011222.jpg

Aerial Base No.10 with a Laporte V Adaptor.
stuffaug262011225.jpg

Counterpoise used to improve signal reception.
stuffaug262011223.jpg

Variometers Canadian, British, USA. Variometers varied the current radiating from the 'A' Set antenna F Rods, so that it was a 1/4 wavelenght. One DID NOT touch an aerial when the wireless was on.
Aerial end.
stuffaug262011236.jpg

Set end with the tuning dial, dail could be adjusted by rotating on the 6 screws. An 'A' Set aerial cable fastened into a Pye socket on the side of the can.
aerialvariometermkii1.jpg

Canadian version, the rear plates could be easily changed. This one might be post war or late WW2 and is a type that would be used in a ground station, a co-ax cable to the aerial fastened into the fitting.
stuffaug262011237.jpg

British model. The plate is for direct mounting through the roof with the aerial base fastend from above.
stuffaug262011238.jpg

American version. The plate is for an aerial cable attachment with the Variometer mounted other than directly through the roof. Top left is the inside of a similar plate with the cable attached.
stuffaug262011239.jpg

The other end of the above cable with the plate that would be on the inside, usually used for through the roof. It was joined to the aerial mount with a short jumper through a thick rubber collar ring.
stuffaug262011241.jpg

Bottom of a No.8 aerial base with the pigtail attached.
stuffaug262011247.jpg

The bottom side of the rubber collar that goes between the roof and the aerial base.
stuffaug262011250.jpg

Thickness of the rubber collar about 1".
stuffaug262011253.jpg

Aerial base, rubber collar, plate and cable.
stuffaug262011257.jpg

JC

Back